The United States Geological Survey (USGS) has just released a new MODFLOW version: MODFLOW-6. This one comes with new functionalities to make it easier to create input files and perform simulations. Among the downloaded MODFLOW-6 files, there is an executable file to convert MODFLOW-2005 files to the new MODFLOW-6 format. In this tutorial we will show you how to do this.
1. Create a new folder only with the model files you want to convert.
2. In the MODFLOW-6 downloaded files, in the "bin" folder look for one called mf5to6.exe and copy it to the previous folder.
3. According to what is indicated in the MODFLOW-6 manual, correct the following:
In the MODFLOW-2005 DIS input file, ensure that ITMUNI (seconds=1; minutes=2; hours=3; days=4; years=5) and LENUNI (feet=1; meters=2; centimeters=3) are defined appropriately with non-zero values.
4. Execute the mf5to6.exe file. Write the name of the nam file to modify and the chosen name for the converted model.
5. After doing this, the new MODFLOW-6 files will be created.
6. In the folder where you have been working, execute run.bat which runs the MODFLOW-6 executable.
7. The model will start running. When it is over, a lst file will be created. Here you can find the model results.